Here's a fun little quiz to whet your appetite for learning more about fashion, designers, celebrities and their cultural imprints across the globe. Test your knowledge on these tasty tidbits of trends and temptation!
1. What British designer hit it big when her then domestic and business partner dressed the band he managed, the Sex Pistols, in her clothing?
2. Among his penchant for turning a phrase (or coining one), what rough and tumble word is most highly prized by Christian Siriano the young, diminuitive Season 4 winner of Bravo's Project Runway series?
3. What costume designer won more Academy Awards for her work in the movies than any other woman in history?
4. What was Coco Chanel's real name?
5. In what town was fashion designer Christian Dior born?
6. What designer claimed to be influenced by Andy Warhol, Ancient Roman and Greek art as well as modern art?
7. During the Second World War, outside the entrance of what famous fashion storefront in Paris was there sign that read "No dogs. No Jews"?
8. What fashion designer has Oscar-winning actress Jodie Foster been known to favor for her gorgeous, form-fitting suits?
9. Who is the highest paid fashion model in the world at present?
10. What are the four top districts for spotting fashion trends in Tokyo?
1. Vivienne Westood. Her boyfriend and business partner was Malcom McLaren who managed the Sex Pistols, and in the 1970's Westwood had a boutique selling bondage gear, ripped T-shirts and other items suited to the punk explosion of the time.
2. fierce. He is also known for coining words, such as "ferosh," a modern twist on ferocious, which goes nicely with fierce.
3. Edith Head, she won 8 Oscars.
4. Jeanne Gabreille Chanel, she adopted the nickname Coco after performing the song, "Qui qu'a vu Coco dans le Trocadero" in 1905 for an audience of uniformed admirers at La Rotande, a music hall in a small town.
5. Christian Dior was born in Granville, Manche, Normandy, France on October 23, 1957.
6. Gianni Versace. Versace was murdered outside his ocean-front mansion in Miami Beach Florida in the summer of 1997.
7. Louis Vuitton. For more details on the story see the French book "Louis Vuitton, A French Saga" written by French journalist Stephanie Bonivinci.
8. Georgio Armani. Foster says 'I don't need to be the flashiest person in the room, just the most confident.' 17 of the last 22 male Oscar winners, including Matt Damon, Kevin Costner, and Tom Hanks, received their Academy Awards dressed in Armani.
9. Gisele Bundchen gets top honors for the second year in a row, earning $25 million dollars last year. Runners up include Heidi Klum ($16 million), Kate Moss ($9 million) and in 4th place, Adriana Lima ($7.5 million).
10. 1. Shibuya - the young, hip fast-fashion area for teans to earl 20's Japanese fashionistas. 2. Harajuku - the trendy young casual area of Toky for 18 - 25 year olds famous among global designers for unique layered and customized styles. 3. Aoyama - known for trendy, wealthy Japanese fashionistas from 25 - 40 year olds looking for high fashion, big brand and name designers.
We hope you learned something new here. If you have an interest in a specific topic for quizzes, puzzles, games and other diversions, just let us know. We'll be glad to make one up!